Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Comfort Food

Today my Shape magazine came in the mail. I'm sure the mailman looks at me with my extra 15 or so pounds and wonders why the heck he needs to lug that magazine to my door each month! I've had the subscription for almost 5 years. After my second bed rest (with my third and final child) I decided it was time to take back control of my body. I hated that it had let me down and that I'd had so little control over what was happening to me and now that I had no choice but to be done having kids, it was time to get in shape. Plus, I was turning 40.

I did get in shape. I looked the best I had in ages - for awhile. Then I had some surgeries and now I'm back to square one.

This month's issue reminded me of all of you stuck in bed. One of the success stories was about a woman who after being on bed rest with two of her kids found herself 100 pounds overweight. She mentioned how everyone who visited her brought food. Of course she lost all the weight a few years later - it wouldn't be a success story otherwise - but her story reminded me of how happy food made me when I was on bed rest! Everyone who visited would bring me little (and not so little) treats. My regular visitors would call before they came and ask what I was in the mood for. I ate so many french fries, turkey reubens, brownie sundaes, pop tarts...you get the idea. If I didn't truly understand the meaning of comfort food before, I sure did then.

Luckily, somehow I didn't gain an extraordinary amount of weight. I'm not sure how - I didn't really pay much attention. I figured if food made me feel better, I deserved it. Maybe because I also made sure to eat things that were good for the baby, my portions of the bad stuff weren't so bad.

I still think you do whatever makes you feel better. But I also think since it doesn't last forever, you don't want to have to spend three years trying to undo your few months of indulgence. Whatever your diet, I think you just do not feel guilty about it. We're women, mothers or soon to be mothers, and daughters. We already feel guilty about more than enough things.

Bon Appetit!

How has your diet been while you've been on bed rest? Has your relationship with food changed since your bed rest? If you're eating a lot of junk, do you feel guilty, entitled or indifferent?

3 comments:

Laura said...

First of all, thanks for your blog. I've only been on bed rest since Friday (and it should be short-lived, I'm 35 weeks) but I'm already going stir-crazy. Having lived in the 'burgh previously (also w/o A/C) I can empathize.

About comfort food, my husband is a great cook and has been making excellent meals for me. He's making egg white and cheddar mcmuffins every morning. The other day he made fabulous mac and cheese from a local chef/restaurateur (http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/shop_books_dammeier.html). Last night he made homemade pizza (not quite as good as Mineo's, but pretty close and much better for you).

I left the bed yesterday to go to the MD and weighed in 2 lbs less than last week. There may be some upside from being away all the chocolate and cookies at work.

Regina and Kathie said...

Mmmm. Sounds yummy! My husband does not cook at all and if my mom wasn't over to cook, it was all takeout. You know, now that you mention it, I think I got everything I loved except Mineo's! Now I feel gypped.

I'm sorry you're going through bed rest. Even short periods of time can be a pain for an active lady. Check out some of our to-do items if you get bored. And let us know if you have anything to add to our list.

Regina

Anonymous said...

laura, I hope you're off bedrest and holding that little baby in your arms! Sounds like you had some good meals that week.