Monday, September 10, 2007

Bed Rest is Heaven????

I can't say, I think that's accurate, but I can't speak for the world, I guess.
Anyone on bed rest has probably experienced the family member or friend who says she or he wishes they'd be banished to bed rest for some relaxation. It's mind blowingly strange to say that given the circumstances which normally sends someone to bed rest, but people make mistakes sometimes.

But, I was surprised the other day when a mom told me that bed rest was the best time she ever had in life. People catered to her, brought her meals, visited only when she wanted them to, made her stuff, bought her stuff, and after fifteen years of busting ass in the workforce, having someone order her to quit felt remarkably good, freeing, even.

Well, I suppose this all could be filed under individual differences. From the way someone is able to occupy her mind, keep busy while existing in six square feet of space for months, look at her circumstances optimistically, view the future as impossibly great to the way their body feels while "resting," we all handle bed rest differently.

How have you found your attitude toward bed rest? Have you reeled between extremes of dispair and glee or hovered somewhere in between?

No comments: